This position under the direction of the Community Development Director performs professional duties which includes the reviewing of plat maps and its associated tasks, and the digital maintenance of current and new easements and rights-of-ways. Responsibilities include collecting, maintaining, and updating a variety of GIS (Geographic Information System) digital data (including, but not limited to addresses, road centerlines, driveways, city, village, county, and political boundaries, etc.) for Cibola County Departments, other government agencies, businesses, and residents, along with the routine uploading of data for Emergency/911 purposes and the creation of maps for various County Departments. The GIS Specialist will create and maintain documentation associated with Floodplain management as set forth by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), including property inspections. The GIS Specialist will use hardware and software necessary for the collection, creation, and maintenance of such data. The collection and maintenance of this data will require public interaction with other county agencies, local governments, and the private sector.
Work is performed in an office environment; controlled temperature conditions; occasionally works outside; travel by car to other departments and to training or meetings; continuous contact with the public, other staff, and outside agencies. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. Work environments may occasionally involve working around machinery with moving parts or stationery equipment.
- High school diploma, GED or equivalent.
- Associate degree preferred, or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience.
- Two (2) years’ experience with computer technology relating to Geographic Information System.
- Certified Floodplain Manager certification required within two (2) years.
- Must have a valid New Mexico driver’s license. For out of state driver’s license, must obtain a valid New Mexico driver’s license within six (6) months of employment.
- May not have any DWI or DUI within the last five (5) years.
- Experience with GPS equipment, plotters, printers, scanners, projectors, and related technical equipment associated with drafting and cartography; mapping scales and their most appropriate use; mapping elements and their most appropriate use; survey practices and procedures; legal documents and terminology; computerized mapping software and methods (ESRI, AUTOCAD, Windows, etc.); various geographic databases, including State of New Mexico, USGS digital line graphics, surveying practices including GPS point retrieval, State Plane Coordinate Systems (NAD 27 and NAD 83), GLO map interpretation and Area Reference Plan (ARP) interpretation; quality assurance and control methods.
- Basic knowledge of this county’s geography and the ability to learn more specific knowledge pertaining to this county’s geography in the first year of employment. This is knowledge that will be forever growing while this position is retained.
- Strong organizational and computer skills, proficient in Microsoft Word, Power Point, Google Mail and Excel.
- Strong drive and passion to learn and advance independently of supervisory assigned tasks or public requests.
- Experience and competence in reading and interpreting tabular data.
- Knowledge and ability to read a map.
- This position requires residing in Cibola County and the ability to comply with safety guidelines and policies of the County.
Interested individuals may obtain an application online at www.cibolacountynm.com or at the Cibola County Managers Office during regular working hours (8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m.; Monday through Friday) at 700 E. Roosevelt Avenue, Ste. 50, Grants, New Mexico. The position will remain open until filled.
Cibola County is an equal opportunity employer
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled
Wildland Fire Information
For fire information in Cibola County please click here.